FMC’s Hydraulic Power Unit (HPU) provides redundant low- and high-pressure hydraulic supplies to the subsea system. The self-contained and totally enclosed HPU includes duty and backup electrically driven hydraulic pumps, dual redundant filters, accumulators, and control and instrumentation for each LP and HP hydraulic circuit. The unit operates autonomously under the control of its dedicated programmable logic controller (PLC), which provides pump motor control, interlocks and interface with the MCS.
FMC’s Hydraulic Power Units are built to meet the design requirements of each customer’s individual projects. However, most of these units provide the following:
- Hydraulic control fluid to operate subsea actuators, valves and downhole SCSSVs
- API and ASTM design with electrical components certified to IP66 and IP55, as applicable
- Stand-alone unit with local PLC controls
- Unattended operational design
- Class 1, Division 2, Group D hazardous environment suitability
- Dual-redundant 10,000 psi and 5,000 psi pumps for hydraulic supply
- Hardwire Emergency Shut Down (ESD) feature for hydraulic ESD pressure dump with High Pressure delay for SCSSV closure
- Interface, with Platform or FPSO’s DCS, ESD/PSD fire and gas system via pneumatic shutdown valve
- Single-skid mounted assembly with crane lift and deck tie-down capability
- Recirculation pumps and filters to ensure fluid cleanness
The HPU provides a stable and clean supply of hydraulic fluid to remotely operated subsea valves. Fluid is supplied via the subsea controls umbilical to the subsea hydraulic system, and the SCMs to operate subsea valve actuators.