Power electronics are used to drive and control a permanent magnet (PM) machine at varying speeds and when applied as a generator, convert a machine's output to a fixed frequency for use on other systems.
With our proprietary PM rotor technology, Direct Drive Systems® PM machines operate with superior efficiency over a wide range of speeds and are capable of high speeds and related frequencies (greater than 60Hz).
Direct Drive Systems' power electronics technology provides the same power at high frequency as conventional induction machines. Our patented design is optimized for our PM machines, reducing the size and number of components and resulting in higher reliability and system efficiency. Design features and options of Direct Drive Systems drives include:
- Compact size
- Four quadrant electronics (bi-directional)
- Water or air cooled
- Sensorless vector control
- No isolation transformer necessary to control common mode voltages or meet IEEE-519
- Quiet operation
- Redundant controls and cooling system pumps
- N+1 power module redundancy
- Hot swappable, roll out modules